Friday, July 4, 2008

I never thought I would see the day

If you know us very well you will know that we would not ever have a dog. Well, our children now believe in miracles thanks to their ownership of this cute little dog. Our boys have wanted a dog for years & years. The answer was always NO! Richard and I both suffer from allergies so badly that a dog was just not an option for us. We have had many pets over the years and we currently have 10 chickens and 2 african sulcata tortoises. This should be good enough. Well a friend of mine came by on Wednesday to pick my brain about pool supplies and she brought this cute little puppy with her. They breed Labs and have this new litter. I didnt think anything of it as it played with the boys while we talked pool stuff. I think this is the real reason she came over all along. She casually says, Hey would you guys like to have a puppy. I say, Oh No, we cant have dogs, and I give her the whole allergy story. She explains that she has bad allergies but all of their dogs have always stayed outside and so it is not a problem. I then explained that we had chickens and dogs dont mix well with chickens. She then went to tell me how this is the perfect age to introduce her to the chickens and if she is raised with them she will not bother them and they will get along just fine. She even took the puppy over to the chickens to see how things would go and the puppy was not one bit interested in them. My next excuse was that Richard would never go for it. Now my kids are out there during this whole conversation and they are just begging to keep her. So my nice friend says, Why dont you just keep her for the day, try her out, let Richard meet her and then let us know. Wasnt that clever. Well, my kids have never played outside so much in one day as they did this day. They were attached and trying to convince me all day. I let them know that Dad was the one they were going to have to convince. They texted him throughout the day, took pictures with the dog and sent that to him. All day he sent replies like, NO, NO, NO! or Does it poop? Then No! The average dog costs $1800 per year. So on, and so on. Well, he gets home and is determined to not even go look at her. I convince him that he owes it to the boys to atleast go see the dog and talk to them about why this is not a good idea for us. He does and he explains that we are still trying to finish the remodel and our yard is just not set up for a dog right now, let's get the house done, then we can talk about getting a dog. Trevon says Dad, you and Mom always have an excuse. If it's not the house, it will be something else. Pretty soon we will be grown and gone and we will have never had a dog. If this doesnt hit you in the heart. They went on to say that Dad had dogs when he was little and Mom had dogs when she was little, why couldnt they have a dog. A little while later Trevon came in and said Mom, I dont think I have ever been this happy in my whole life. Just having this one day with this puppy. Well, next thing I knew Richard is out there with her on his lap and well, we have all fallen in love with her and what can we say except, I never thought I would see the day! We have been thinking of names but we want to get your opinion to help us name her. As you can see below she is absolutely adorable.

3 comments:

Vanessa Shannon said...

Oh. My. Gosh. She is GORGEOUS! Im dreading the day that my kids beg us for the dog.....I dont want one either but how can you resist that! I think since it is a girl, a cute name would be Roxy or Lola.

Vanessa Shannon said...

Ok, I just went back to your blog and noticed the voting poll and Roxy was already on there! That is definitely my vote.

pete/chris whipple said...

I think her name should be "happy" or "honey" as she looks like her mouth is actually smiling? Mom