Saturday, January 2, 2010

Funny Story



So today at work I had a very embarassing thing happen to me. I thought I saw someone who I knew but hadn't seen in awhile. So... here's how the conversation went.
Me- Are you Gaye?
Her - Yes I am.
Me - I thought so. I wasnt sure but you live by my sister, right?
Her - Who is your sister?
Me - LoraLeigh
Her - I don't know LoraLeigh.
Me- (blushing because I realized what I had said & what she was referring to) Aren't you Gaye with an e at the end of your name?
Her - Oh....I thought you were asking me if were Gay.
Me - (Not sure what to say) ... (I think I said) Well, I know someone who looks just like you & her name is Gaye with an e. You could be her twin.
Her - (I really don't remember what she said but she replied and I smiled and then I quickly ducked out of the store until she was gone.)

I honestly can say that when I started that conversation I was not even remotely thinking what she was thinking but looking back I realize that I could have worded that better. I should have said, "Are you Gaye Tenney because you really look like her" or something like that. Well, I'm just glad that I was able to provide all the ladies I work with a good laugh and I'm sure this lady will have a good long laugh with her friends as well.

8 comments:

Vanessa Shannon said...

Oh Marcy! I hate to admit it but I am laughing it up right now....gotta give her kudos for coming right out and answering though! She must be comfortable in her own skin. You'll have to make sure and tell the real Gaye the story someday if you ever run into her....LOL!

Bev said...

Yeah, that's pretty darn funny!! Glad you shared it!

pete/chris whipple said...

Love the picture you picked for this story! Exactly how I would feel only maybe a bit more red!!!

LaDonna said...

You have to know that I am ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING right now! That is one of the funniest stories I've heard in a long long time.
Thanks for sharing. I needed a good laugh. Been there, done that, with the embarrassing moments.
Glad it was you this time.
Love you girl!

Wendi said...

That is so something I would do. I hate those moments when you cannot suck it back in and not only do you want to but you NEED to. Thanks for the giggle. Have a great new year.

Tamra and Jim said...

That is hilarious. Sorry you were so embarrassed but I think you provided a good laugh for lots of people!

Wyatts said...

I did'nt get to see Gay on Sunday so I still have to tell her but Vinnie said he told her husband and some of her boys and they thought it was hilarious. She probably knows now.

Joel and Lisa Wagenman said...

Oh Marcy! I know it's only January but that is the best story of the year! So FUNNY! I can just hear your friendly sweet innocent voice "Hi, are you Gaye?...I thought so." Oh man, thanks for the laughs!