Monday, September 12, 2011

Pinterest Projects

Ok so I don't know if you have discovered Pinterest or not but beware it is a time killer.  However, it depends on what you do with it.  I like to think that it has inspired me.  Pinterest is an app that you can download to your phone or you can view it through your computer online.  You do have to sign up but it is a place where ideas, recipes & much more is shared.  I love it and am filled with inspiration to get going when I visit it.  So, here are a few of my pinterest projects that I've been working on.
First, I found this picture in decorating ideas and I just fell in love with the colors.  I had desperately been needing to clean out my pantry.  It is my catch all room (I hope I'm not the only one with one of those rooms) and it had caught more than it could hold.  So with a little extra time on my hands I decided the time had come to tackle it, clean it, and give it a fresh new look.
First, I had to empty it. Everything came out, even this old white tile.  Richard thought this would also be a great time to do the tile, re-texture and paint the room.  We even pulled out the cupboards that were in there and relocated them to a new wall.  It was quite the undertaking.  Where did I put it all in the mean time you ask? 
Yes, I am really airing it all here.  I set up 3 table in my kitchen/dining area thinking that would be enough space to allow me to sift through and decide what I would keep and get rid of.  Apparently that little pantry held much more than I had originally thought.
It was everywhere.  Richard, came home from work after I had pulled it all out and made the comment that he felt like he had walked into an edition of the tv show "Hoarders".  Yes, I laughed.  It took me about a week to go through it all and I have to say it was making me CraZy.  I don't know how people live like that with 'stuff' all over the place. 
I even had to take down my seasonal decoration area to make room for more pantry stuff. 
and it spilled over into my family room.  Yikes!  I have too much stuff!
So the pantry got a fresh coat of sunny yellow paint and new tile to match the rest of the house.  Here are the shelves beginning to go back in so I could organize this mess.  I love the yellow!  It is bright, cheery and happy.  Richard was worried it would be too much but I assured him once everything was back in and mixed with the other colors I was planning that it would be lovely.
So here are the cupboards with the lovely aqua blue colors and I used baskets and buckets that I already had and spray painted them in colors that I wanted and used them to organize some of this stuff.
Some of the shelves painted to match the cabinets and again with the baskets to match the color scheme I had chosen.
I don't know how old this picture is but it hung in my grandma Ries' house many years ago and she passed it on to me.  I changed the color of the matte as well as added a little red to the flowers and I think it is just perfect for the room.  It is hard to see but there are even some light blue flowers scattered in there.  So that's pretty much it.  Everything is cleaned up and my house no longer resembles an edition of "Hoarders".  Whew.  I have a few decorative touches to add to the room still but you get the idea.  It looks much better in person of course, hard to capture in pictures.
We had some beautiful fall weather over the weekend and even some rain and it put me in the mood to try out 2 new recipes from Pinterest.  The first are pumpkin cheescake muffins.  They are a low cal muffin and don't have much sugar in them and I kind of have a sweet tooth so I wasn't sure if I really liked them but.... my kids ate them up as well as the committee members I serve with in my church calling.  I guess I will make them again.  Speaking of my calling, I am the RS Meeting leader (Homemaking or Enrichment leader is how most people know it) and we have a craft night coming up in October and most of the projects we are doing came from Pinterest.  I told you it was a cool site.  You should check it out.
and for dinner tonight I made this soup called Skinny Potato Soup (in hopes that it would make me skinny)  haha.  It was a Weight Watcher recipe and I did find it on Pinterest.  It has only 2 actual potatoes in it and then an entire head of cauliflower that I pureed and you can't even tell in my opinion.  My kids ate it up like crazy and wanted to know what that delicious smell was when they came in from school.  As a matter of fact Trevon just got home from club volleyball and he is sitting here next to me at the table and is eating his 3rd bowl.  If only they knew how healthy it was.  Haha, I love it.

 
So, have you discovered Pinterest yet?  Has it inspired you to do or make any fun projects?

2 comments:

Vanessa Shannon said...

Loooooove Pinterest!!! And I love what you did with the pantry :) I look forward to a day when I actually have a home that I can do fun projects to. Until then I collect my ideas on Pinterest too!

Bev said...

Yeah, I'm addicted to Pinterest too and I'm redoing my pantry and laundry room. The only problem is....I still work and I have no time...but one of these days I'll get around to getting it finished and posted on my blog. I love all your ideas...you're inspiring to me!!